Short time reflection of the Techirghiol region
• The living of the people on those surroundings, especially the its continuity, reveals itself by the few, but steady, archaeological evidences, more or less ascertain by hazard.
The history of those evidences reaches the Neolithic, the Techirghiol region being included in the second phase of the Hamangia-Cernavoda culture. As early as 1924, timely and systematically archaeological investigations performed by Vasile Parvan were meant to establish the history of these parts.
• Dobrogea, being owned by the Romans, used to be an important cradle for establishing the Romanian people as a whole, long before the Roman emperor Traian conquered Dacia and long after the reign of the last Roman emperor ceased.
Even in that period, the Romanians knew the therapeutic benefits of the mud. The Techirghiol surroundings were in any case a target easily at reach, being on the well travelled imperial road leading from Tomis (Constanta) to Callatis (Mangalia). The coins found in Techirgiol during this period of time attest the Roman presence and the trading being made between them and the rural.
• In the year of 1388, Dobrogea firstly united with Wallachia under the reign of Mircea the Old.
• At the half of the subsequent century, the Ottomans occupy Dobrogea. A first mention of Techirghiol region can be found in a document dated in 1560, when Tekfür-köy is named, a document from Suleyman the Magnificent to Moldavian voivode (prince). <br>
From now on, documents will address the region as Tekfür-köy or Tekfür-gölu (combining Turkish (striped) and köy/gölu (lake), as the lake appeared striped sometimes, influenced by the wind pales and salt).
• First written information related to the therapeutic effects of the lake and its mud are dated 1854. The ottoman commander Said Pasa visits the military base at Techirghiol where he does several mud bathes, as the natives advised. Surprisingly, he notices miraculous effects to his ailing arm.
• December 1st, 1878, the Romanian troops enter Dobrogea, milestone that represents the union of this province with the mother country as a fact.
• One of the Techirghiol "inhabitants" after the reform, was Mihail Kogalniceanu, who buys land and real estates around the lake. He also built a public fountain in the village, while in Tuzla he founded the orthodox chapel.
• Out of the prominent citizens of Techirgiol, one could also pick Mircea Eliade, whose parents owned since 1906 a vacation house there Claudia Vila.
• One other important and benefactor figure, who was very much involved in the public life of Techirghiol, was one of Romania's finest artists, Constantin Tanase. He was an active part in the construction of an asylum for artists, as a shelter, (Scene Vila). He also provides financial help for the construction of the village's club, as well as for the Saint Elias church.
• The artist Jean Constantin was born (1928) in Techirghiol.
• As permanent summer guests in the 20s, one could count Romanian writers such as Cezar Petrescu and Tudor Arghezi, together with their families. Another well known Romanian novel writer, Ionel Teodoreanu, wrote an important part of his novels in the very Techirghiol, where he also used to spend summers with his family.
• 1891 - first hotel and cold baths establishment in Techirghiol - Hagi Pandele
• In 1894, the Ministry of Agriculture and Public Domains sells to the Civic Hospitals Eforia, a charity society from Bucharest, 100 ha by the lake. This is the first step towards the construction of the bathing place next to the lake. This is the laying stone of what will later become Techirghiol-Eforie and then, nowadays, Eforie Nord.
• It takes one and a half hour with the tram or with a wagon from Constanta to Techirghiol. The picture shows here the Teodorescu's inn, a renowned halting place due to its cold water and quite replete restaurant.
• After the Independence War, one of the land buyers in Techirghiol is Ion Movila. He makes overwhelming efforts to create a bathing place in the southern part of the lake. He succeeds in what initially will be Techirghiol-Movila, later Carmen Sylva and nowadays Eforie Sud.
• Hotel Movila
• At the end of 19th century, the "gold rush" starts in Techirghiol. Lots of "initiatives" realise that, with a little investment and improvisation, they can title their compartmented constructions hotels and bathing establishment, at the same time being able to claim generous amount of money for the so called treatments. Hotel Cernat
bull; 1900 - extracting therapeutic mud in Techirghiol
bull; Techirghiol, beginning of the 20th century
• 1911 Colonial and Delicatessen Store
• Techirghiol's first c'asino
• The war years put their fingerprints on the village of Techirghiol and its economy but, starting from 1920, its touristy and treatment capacity are continuouslyincreasing.Here is the Celement Popescu treatment centre, founded 1920.
• 1923 Speranta treatment centre - luxury rooms
• Papusica (puppet doll) Vila now the mayor house
• Dawn Restaurant (Zori de Zi) <br>
Management from Capsa/Bucharest, own entertainment band (orchestra), fine Romanian food and wines from its own cellar, special regional-grill.
• 1924- Techirghiol Boulevard in front of Garabet's tavern
• The lake was sailed by little ships and motor boats which connected Techirghiol Village with Techirghiol Movila Village or the New Beach (Plaja Noua). One can see here the Techirghiol wharf.
• A stroll on the lake
• Racing boats on the lake - Movila wharf
• 1924 - Techirgiol Movila - sea bathing
• Medical research in the area of bathing treatment are very heavily supported by the state. They also find a very favourable development environment in Techirghiol. In 1928, the International Thalasso Therapy takes place both in Bucharest and Techirghiol. The picture shows Dr. Ion Tataran in the Techirghiol's research laboratory.
• Constantin Bajenaru - one of the mayors of Techirghiol which, in the 30s made serious efforts in trying to make the city more beautiful, keeping it clean and making it prosperous as a bathing resort.
• Heroes Monument in the General I. Dragalina square, unveiled in 1931, paying tribute to those who died during the war 1916 - 1918. Techirghiol and its neighbour villages paid their tribute with 176 victims.
Techirghiol in the 80th
Techirghiol Lake was brought by the closure of an old mouth of a river with silt and sand by the waves formed. The seawater has infiltrated into the lake behind the line formed by the sand. Your salt concentration was very high, 80-95 g / l Because here an increased salt content, a type of brine shrimp has developed. Artemia salina that after death, by the bacterial decomposition, along with the algae Cladophora cristalina forms the mud. On this occasion, hydrogen sulfide is emitted into the atmosphere, which also forms the odor of the sludge.
Techirghiol treatment - mud
For hundreds of years here come sick people to the healing mud from the lake to find the cure, or find a cure for aging.
Techirghiol mud is a substance with a complex chemical composition, formed after an extremely long biological process (called peloidogeneze) under certain conditions in the Techirghiol lake.
Heated sludge is used for various processes: mixed wraps, compresses and salt water from the lake to the bathtubs. As partial mud packs consist of wrapping with warm mud, 45-50 degrees for 20-30 minutes (possibly with massage) or the partial or complete rub with cold mud and sunlight (the Egyptian method).
With the Techirghiol mud is treated in rheumatology inflammatory or degenerative, post trauma (muscle, skin and bone) disease, diseases of the central nervous system and peripheral (from neuralgia hemiplegia, hemiparesis, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease), gynecological ( mounted cervicites, metritis, secondary infertility, functional disorders), skin diseases (psoriasis, seborrheic syndrome, allergodermia), peripheral vascular disease (ischemia, circulatory insufficiency), etc.
Today Techirghiol is the most popular medicinal resort in Romania. annually come to find their health more than 14,000 patients from country and abroad to the Sanatorium Techirghiol.